Friday, August 23, 2013

Anonymity.

In the car with tinted windows or the sun glaring off the glass making your identity masked, do you become anonymous?

On the Internet with user names to mask your identity, do you become anonymous?

Does anonymity take away the consequences for disrespectful behavior and poor choices?


Road rage.
I think it is safe to say at one point or another we have all been guilty of road rage.
It is hard not to take road behaviors personally.

For example, the "zipper" is not a difficult concept on the interstate.
There was a sign indicating a merge a mile back. Getting over while slowing slightly allows most to merge without breaking.
Every other car, like a zipper and traffic flows well.
Then there is the one car that has to speed to the front of the line.

It is frustrating.
You followed the rules, you showed common courtesy and then someone makes everyone behind him hit the breaks because he feels he is more important.

But is that what the driver thinks?
How can we know the circumstance without being in the car with the other driver?
We can't.

Assumptions against the character of other drivers are just as disrespectful as the perceived wrong you feel they commit against you.

Yes there are bad people out there.
Yes there are selfish people out there.
But, the way we judge others is a reflection on ourselves, our personal character.

Anonymity allows gives a false sense of security.
Acting under the alias of anonymity allows us the privilege to be act out life as an actress or actor on stage.

If I can't be identified, I can't be held accountable.
Wrong.

You are not the narrator or writer.
You are not omniscient.
So, don't act and speak as though you are infallible.

There is only one entity who is capable of know what every creature on this planet as done and their intentions, their reasons. Only one who can work outside the constant of time.
(I mean besides The Doctor.)

Online it is easy to offer opinions as fact through the false authority a user name gives.
It is easy to be intentionally or unintentionally hurtful with criticism and reviews.

After all...
What consequences are there for "speaking" harshly to people you have never met?
Who is going to hold us accountable for our actions if no one knows our identity?

Anonymity. 
There is no such thing.

As a mom, I don't have to know the particulars or see my son in the act of committing a transgression to know something has happened. It is apparent in his behavior.
The slink of in his stride.
The slump of his shoulders.
The guilt crinkling his forehead.
The acknowledgment in his eyes.
At one point every one had these mannerisms.
Do you still hold yourself accountable?

I am an open book of emotions and moods.

My mom always could tell when I did something wrong.
Now, my husband knows better then I do sometimes when I am not comfortable with a deed I did or know about. I don't always have the chance to process a moment before others know all.
This is a blessing.

I am being held accountable by those who know and love me best even if they know nothing of the event.
My overdeveloped conscious ensures I will still be held accountable even if I am alone.

A conscious isn't just a cricket.
It is a sense of awareness.
A sensitivity of what we are doing, what others are doing around us.
The sensations and thoughts that accompany the situation.

At some point in our lives we will loose this awareness.
It can be temporary amnesia or a conscientious choice.

I choose too follow the rule I taught my son.
"I will treat others as I want to be treated."
From the bad, good is still present.
We just have to recognize it.
You will not always be treated with the kindness you extend, but deciding to show patience and courtesy to others before acting on assumptions will allow you to recognize the good in any situation.

I choose to not be anonymous.
I am Sarah Jo Richards.
I take responsibility for my words and actions.

Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment