Tuesday, April 7, 2015

From the Lips of Children

This morning started like most, but ended with me dropping my son off at school and walking the dog perplexed and in awe.

 "Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants you, Lord, have called forth your praise'?"  -Matthew 21:6

"Breakfast Time!" came a loud shout as the thumping of feet came barreling down the hallway.
Every morning, my son wakes up "starving".
His words not mine!

Together we fix breakfast.
Dino oatmeal for him. Coffee for me.

Sitting down, we pray.
With my eyes still closed, I pick up my coffee with both hands and hold it up under my nose.
Breathing deeply I enjoy the smell; the feel of the steam warming my face.

"Mo-om," my son says with the tone of 'Oh Mommy'. "It's time to read the bible."
A six year old requesting to start his day by reading the bible; I never did that.

When my son was born I read him from all sorts of books: Narnia, Harry Potter, Jane Eyre, etc.
Babies are excellent captive audiences!

Now he is 6 years old.
A big boy he proclaims as he struts around with his chest puffed out.

So I put my coffee down and pull out my bible to read:
"[I]f you obey the Lord your God and keep his commands and decrees that are written in this Book of Law and turn to the Lord your God with all you heart and with all your soul. Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach...No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it." - Deuteronomy 30:10-11, 14
I am about move on when a soft voice from my left stops me.

"Is the word Jesus, Mom?"

Wow. 
Take a minute to let that sink in. 
"...the word is very near you; it is in you mouth and in your heart..." Is the word Jesus?
From the mouths of children come the silliest things or the most insightful.
In this case I was speechless.

How many times had I read these words and not had this epiphany?
Countless times.

As I walked the dog after dropping my son off at school, I was still thinking about what my son had said. Even now as I write this the coffee is gone, the cup sits cold on the desk next to me, and I am still blown away by the simplicity I had been missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment